The snowball game: translating with only 625 words

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Re: The snowball game: translating with only 625 words

Post by clawgrip »

I suppose I could do that. Or just post some of the ones I've done. The last one I posted was 54, but I've actually completed over 30 more sentences. It's just my insistence on posting the native script with my sentences that is slowing me down. It's a good way to keep adding new characters, but also takes a lot of time.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

clawgrip wrote:I suppose I could do that. Or just post some of the ones I've done.
Yes, yes. Post what you've got and throw some fresh oregano into the pot now. Add the rest at will or as you can. We're a patient lot, and besides, where we gonna go? [;)] (And since you're one of the few here ahead of me in time, you have an even shorter flight to yesterday [xD] .)
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
PTSnoop
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PTSnoop »

Yeah, I agree with Lao Kou. Please don't feel like you have to have a complete set of all 173 translations before posting anything!

- Oh, and by 173 I now mean 174. [:P]

173. Anøngai éenokeph éerasarasʉ farı ui, muphʉzmʉmal nlákhara khuse.
[ ʔánøŋaj é:noképʰ é:ʁasaʁasy fáʁɨ wi, múpʰyʃmymal nlákʰaʁa kʰúse . ]
a-nøngai iaut-no-ké-ph iáursa-rsʉ́ fa-e ui, muphʉz-nʉ-mal-l nlákh-rá khus-e.
TOPIC-actress write-3SG-SUBJ-GOOD book-life 3SG-GEN INDEF, request-such-0-TOPICGOOD country-LOC all-GEN.

There are a lot of requests from all over the country asking the actress to write a book about her life.

174. Nez tsatatøképh, "Aiiamørøksiaph eparanton éecantøpukhʉpira phanelintøph," tfot tsatalaukén, "Nia cʉtasø?", nez kia kletlauph luatøph.
[ néʃ tsatatøképʰ, ʔɛíjamøʁøksjapʰ ʔépaʁanton ʔé:xantøpukʰypiʁa pʰánɪlintøpʰ, tfót tsatalawkén, nja xýtasø, neʃ kja klétlawpʰ lwátøpʰ ]
nez tsata-tø-ké-ph, a-iiamørøskhiaph e-Pranton e-ccangtøpu-khupi-rá phán-elin-tø-ph, tfot tsata-lau-ké-n, nia cʉtasø, nez kie khleth-lau-ph lua-tø-ph
ifthen speak-1SG-SUBJ-GOOD, "TOPIC-cinema ADJ-Brandon ADJ-town-low-LOC PREVTOPIC-towards-1SG-GOOD", and speak-2SG-SUBJ-BAD, "or somewhere", ifthen NEG enter-2SG-GOOD easy-1SG-GOOD.

If I say "I am going to the Brandon Cinema in Lowtown" and you ask "where?", you are not making my life any easier.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

174. Sí la hengeveçö haungamath „Sí la Mbéölötínsav chü Brandön Içdimtelímarangíksüv kadiz.”, kfö öçek la „Vacher'ha?” haunéçaf sho, fenfe lan vau kízgalemsaut fítemaut höi sepröm íe henöi.
1SG-NOM AUX.PRES thus say-SPEC „1SG-NOM AUX.PRES Low.town-LOC DEF Brandon.Cinema-LOC go.”, and 2SG-NOM AUX.PRES „whither?” ask-SPEC PTCL, 2SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PresCAUS DEF.NEG life-ACC.NEG 1SG.POSS.ADJ-ACC.NEG PTCL easy-NOM.NEG more-AdADJ be-CONCL
If I say, "I am going to the Brandon Cinema in Lowtown" and you ask, "where?", you are not making my life any easier.

175. Mar, fenfe la, gü fí la vö aukhsöt ba rhkövöz hüjebeth sho, mükfé hürönjöth.
mother, 2SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES, CONJ 1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES DEF.NEG mountain-ACC.NEG PTCL climb try-IMP PTCL, please tell-IMP
Mother, please don't tell me not to try and climb the mountain.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

55. Image
Mjurmay dmeynptiahkeuu jootmoang ntey noh yorngchooay chaidaap lisur'yeuut.

look.for taxi be.just.like cause COMPL rabbit give.birth.to camel
Trying to find a taxi in this city is like trying to get a rabbit to give birth to a camel.

56. Image
Tui oa keun aajung bnar ler ia ler jgoym poung chdark deu?

3 hey TPC be case belong man belong left or right Q
By "he", do you mean the man on the left or on the right?

57. Image
Glaaga tngenmay kjal sak flet waak pet dua cheung tek waak nteyngey tek gliañ.

Greg try.out add salt arrive meat catch PERF but then meat cause.pain then die
Greg tried salting the meat which he caught, but then, the meat wounded him and Greg died.

58. Image
Logeuuga kpeun faal huoo ot-jik ler dngorblait ñool gmar lokhuoo?

someone eat be.at.least NEG one-piece belong bread be.sweet exist Q-NEG
Has anyone not had at least one piece of cake?

59. Image
Pol oa yang tuinpeak-chnor dang balaoñoakteu yet gdaa dang hui jgech lao wiap tek yau joot pdalsnooh. Lui si sam arng ot!

Paul hey EMPH rear wake.up.rear so telephone ring hear so pants put.on cover head and.then dance be.like chicken | five four three two one
Now Paul, after you wake up, whenever you hear the phone ring, you will put pants on your head and dance like a chicken. Five, four, three, two, one!

60. Image
Guangkach ork sark-syowey borm dua flet Aalen keun pneukkiap leut.

long.time here tell-lie can PERF arrive Alan TPC be.unbelievable EMPH
I'm surprised I've managed to lie to Alan for as long as I have.

61. Image
Aacheung dang Aalen wiap tau dang sianggyort wui huoo bia maut wkermet dgorp dua ley sgiah iol flet erñ ler kchocherng keun euñgarng aajung.

be.that.as.it.may so Alan head spread.out so believe PROT NEG time tooth loosen-take.away happen PERF and place coin arrive bottom belong bed TPC one’s.parents be
Mind you, Alan is so slow/dull/thick that he still doesn't believe it was his parents who put coins under his bed when he lost a tooth.

62. Image
Keuu ork nlooayk bia dgorp.

person here see time happen
This person saw it happen.

63. Image
Pdalsnooh euuk dar jok gañ lognom ayt?

chicken over.there walk cross road why Q
Why did yon chicken walk across the road?

64. Image
Hwai ouho wauyoh aajung.

1 shoe maker be
I'm a shoemaker / I make shoes (as a job).

65. Image
Flet gjeh heupgpen ler leuokmuan garng ler mungyeuut loh dmeyn drayloy tua nek teuo biasgung mtemmgiatyoh tui aajung heuukeuu ptorch gmar tui teugai beuot met joon sleuolah.

arrive night be.dark belong winter pair belong horse pull cart go.through wind and snow same-time driver 3 be farmer pride exist 3 wipe snow take.away come.from beard (forgot to add the glove part, will do it later)
On a dark winter night, as a pair of horses pulled his wagon through the wind and snow, the driver, a proud farmer, wiped the ice from his beard with a glove.

66. Image
Arng ler duool dar jong logsar deu?

two belong 2 walk want where Q
Where did you two want to walk to?

67. Image
Yoan jmachfloukfteuk wiautong kwaut tuin gna logurt dang iambo fkaingkniok sdaa weup choakeuu ler denstoh-stohbngoy choacheung.

if marriage-ceremony price be.additional rise regardless how.much husband be.intimate must be.with everyone belong servant staff
If the wedding had gotten any more expensive, my husband would have had to sleep with all the waitstaff.

68. Image
Hert beym ler dmeyn sgeu arng-wgaychdee keun kuip pa bee ntaa-chaot.

shop PL belong car sit two-wheel TPC close go.until reach several-day
These bicycle shops will be closed for the next few days.

69. Image
Barchtom logeuu-ga ngeuo dooayp twarng jgout. Hwai siang smaiyyot borm huoo sway barga tobor flet guangkach ley swoktwol euuk nuim sbiataon klaang huoo gna loguang teuol geuuuut!

cake someone expose go.away be.at rain | 1 think bear can NEG because baking continue arrive long-time and recipe that.DIST procure do.again EPIS NEG regardless when fail.to.recognize EMPH
Someone left the cake out in the rain -- I don't think that I can take it, 'cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that baking way again...oh noooooooo! (the image has two small errors. Will have to fix later)

70. Image
Stap wernton eum moang gneuo ler yekhiatñau paiyt’hor lao chaudrek ler hwai.

cat foot-strike drop just bottle belong orange-juice spread cover desk
My cat just kicked a bottle of orange juice all over my desk.

71. Image
Gjeh'om ler bgeygjehjgeng aajung yekhiat diauch stap.

evening-meal belong this-evening be orange flavour cat
We're having fresh cat à l'orange for dinner this evening.

72. Image
Tua geuut tmeen gloañ ork tio gmar.

wind blow before tree here leaf exist
Before the wind blew, there were leaves on that tree.

73. Image
Bia stakpnih gjiat dmeyn tsuatsua twarng hert duool ach pneuk charng nlooayk wauskenongbalao joak nuim jeunsken ler duool.

time shop push cart wander.around be.at store 2 may surprise be.caused.by see video.camera be.small take image belong 2
As you push your wagon through the store while you're shopping, you may be surprised to see small TV cameras taking your picture.

74. Image
Pchoy luattom sarkkcheh dger ler duool gel borm huoo flet faal ot jaokeuu.

be.full regret inform letter belong 2 dispatch can NEG arrive be.at.least one recipient
I'm sorry to have to inform you that your letter could not be sent to one or more people.

75. Image
Dang lianyoh plarfteuk dua tngentngualflouk dang tagnaa sgiah sgeu jua tmeuk pa bjeuup sarkkcheh mao dooayp.

so student undertake PERF test so pencil place sit be.quiet ought.to go.until teacher inform allow leave
When students have finished taking the test, they should put down their pencils and sit quietly until the teacher tells them they may leave.

76. Image
Hwai bayt jong dua Sahlah flet daapchaot choacheung.

1 celebrate want PERF Sarah arrive birthday and.yet
I would have liked to have been able to wish Sarah a happy birthday.

77. Image
Balaoñoakteu ptiah borm gar ler fong ler giaujap-orp jmot ing leung gaga joak kloa ler bgaiyguang.

telephone carry can be.old belong period belong ninety-year be.heavy be.very.much.so separate one be.small be.light belong current-time
The old cellphones of the 90s were a lot heavier than the smaller lightweight ones of today.

78. Image
Tui aajung yoyñ jrat kaa gwa.

3 be old.man meet.for.the.first.time be.near river
He is the old man who we met by the river.

79. Image
Hwai gjo stak borm huoo arngwgaychdeebalao gyooay poung pnih tkiattmaiy.

1 decide buy can NEG motorcycle be.purple or item be.orange
I can't decide whether to buy the purple motorcyle or the orange one.
(the image is missing stak!)

80. Image
Syamheatga flet hwai keun chai flet guang jermay ler duool keun sgeulor.

reply-N arrive 1 TPC do arrive time desire belong 2 TPC be.acceptable
You may reply to me whenever you wish.

81. Image
Bogjeh knung jao bohboh mbiau keun keuu tgerng lah hiat tui heat kchocherng ork goat duidui, kchocherng ork pney duidui, kchocherng ork keun sgahlor sgahlor.

last-night book receive mom read TPC person have hair be.yellow 3 say bed here be.hard be.too.much bed here be.soft be.too.much bed here TPC be.suitable be.suitable
In the book my mother read to me, the blonde said that this bed was too hard, this bed was too soft, but this bed was just right.
(four reduplications in a single sentence; not sure if I’ve ever had that happen before)

175. Image
Bohboh yang heat huoo noh ongntey jio huoo fau euuk bo yang.

mother HORT say NEG COMP attempt climb NEG hill that HORT HORT
(image is missing one negative, will have to add that in later)

176. Image
Ley sloynket aungsdong sbiat huoo ley pa bee huoo barngeh teuk itui.

and tomato enjoy happen.again NEG and go.up.to reach NEG cook use 3.ACC
I don’t even like tomatoes, let alone cook with them.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

clawgrip wrote:176. Image
Aaaand 'e's back in! [:D]

176. Fí la vak tavadhsöich hé fautail, auíö rhanaf sazakan.
1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES DEF.PL.NEG tomato-ACC.PL.NEG even like, much.less 3PL-INSTR cook

177. Che helkeths la, gü makhlama lí chauk vöthemíarsauch réastörauch íe cheveçö haugdunef sho, höbökh?
DEF that-NOM AUX.PRES, CONJ 1PL-NOM AUX.FUT DEF.PL autumn.evening-ACC.PL long-ACC.PL more-AdADJ how pass/spend-SPEC PTCL, be.so
How shall we spend the longer autumn evenings?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
PTSnoop
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PTSnoop »

175. Ca tørı, ngúukhactøkeph psam nʉ kia litøképh nʉ kia zotsáunglauphán tøs.
[ xá tøʁɨ, ŋu:kʰaxtøkepʰ psám ny kjá litøképʰ ny kja ʃotsáwŋlawpʰan tøs . ]
ca tø-e, ngutkhac-tø-ké-ph phsam nʉ kie li-tø-ké-ph nʉ kie zotsáung-lau-phá-n tøs .
VOC mother 1SG-GEN, climb-1SG-SUBJ-GOOD mountain such NEG try-1SG-SUBJ-GOOD such NEG dissuade-2SG-IMP-BAD 1SG.

176. Asnøukh raul kia miatsøl, snuséetørøn nʉ kia thiatøn.
[ ʔásnøwkʰ ʁawl kja mjátsøl, snusé:tøʁøn ny kja tʰjátøn . ]
a-snønukh raul kie mias-tø-l, msúsiua-tø-rø-n nʉ kie thiá-tø-n .
TOPIC-tomato truly NEG enjoy-1SG-TOPICGOOD, cook-1SG-TOPICSUBJ-BAD such NEG hear-1SG-BAD.

177. Anuázuam elaimuaun thaice, nia thik cʉphitháph?
[ ʔanwáʃwam ʔélajmwawn tʰájxe, nja tʰik xypʰitʰápʰ ? ]
a-nuázuam e-laim-uaun tháic-e, nia thik cʉphi-thá-ph ?
TOPIC-evening ADJ-wide-more autumn-GEN, or something dwell-1PL-GOOD?

How shall we spend the longer autumn evenings?

178. Nʉ tsatatøkén nʉ kia nuáathøn.
[ ny tsatatøkén ny kjá nwá:tʰøn . ]
nʉ tsata-tø-ké-n nʉ kie nuath-tø-n.
such say-1SG-SUBJ-BAD such NEG believe-1SG-BAD.

I don't think I said that.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

178. Fí la hereçkeveçö bé ngamath övaz.
1SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES thus PTCL-PAST say believe

179. Sö srebs sís la, chöb la „Öçek lé chü víksüt tréskeküt dravnath.” hengeveçö bas ngamath üraf sho, miçnakh.
INDEF part-NOM 1SG-GEN AUX.PRES, REL-NOM AUX.PRES "2SG-NOM AUX.PAST DEF thing-ACC right-ACC do" thus PTCL-REFL say want PTCL, there.be
There's a part of me that wants to say to myself, "You did the right thing."
Last edited by Lao Kou on 06 Sep 2013 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
PTSnoop
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PTSnoop »

179. Atøsikhe ui, orautøph nʉ tsatatøiuph tøsnái.
[ ʔátøsikʰe wi, ʔóʁawtøpʰ ny tsátatøjupʰ tøsnáj . ]
a-tøs-ikhe ui, orau-tø-ph nʉ tsata-tø-iu-ph tøs-nái.
TOPIC-1SG-part INDEF, "true-1SG-GOOD" such speak-1SG-OPT-GOOD 1SG-REFLEX.

180. Tsemakléph áufmatara enga, nʉ iuflaphutføiuph.
[ tsemaklépʰ áwfmataʁa ʔéŋa, ny júflapʰutføjupʰ . ]
thse-mal-ké-ph áufmat-rá e-nga, nʉ iuflaphuf-tø-iu-ph.
fish-0-SUBJ-GOOD river-LOC ADJ-this, such discover-1SG-OPT-GOOD.

I want to find out if there are any fish in this river.

EDIT: Oh, wait, forgot about the optative. Fixed.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

180. Sí la, gü sök víöbsöp la chau sfaiersauv hengerauv gérü höimiçnakh sho, ba níaubril üraf.
1SG-NOM AUX.PRES, CONJ INDEF.PL fish-NOM.PL AUX.PRES DEF river-LOC this-LOC whether there.be-DISC PTCL, PTCL find.out want

181. Öçek la, ktushtanö chí mnwöls la sfa'u hauçürenöi sho, höi se ösevönarhöthsev chau mölmanalörsaut pfadínaraut Toníbauthses ba dimshal ba kadiz flaní dnef.
2SG-NOM AUX.PRES, while DEF time-NOM AUX.PRES still remain-SPEC PTCL, PTCL INDEF concert.hall-LOC DEF sing.PresGER-ACC live-ACC Tony-GEN PTCL listen PTCL go really should
You really should go to hear Tony sing live in concert while there's still time.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

NEW CHALLENGER: ZNEX

178. pĕ âmt fú aw fu tȳl
NEG say 1PP CTXT-1 1PP 3PP

179. nŭ oèd nŭ oè yu ól nŭ ank fú âmt oè âgk tè jȋ noè jȋ tal yu ól
SP exist SP part CTXT-7 nature SP in.soon.future 1PP say part sing well HP 2PP HP in.past CTXT-7 nature
âgk tè is an idiomatic construction and does not actually mean sing well, although the individual words do mean these.

180. jȋ ank tīn fú jȋ aw fú oèd ād plàk awk gkyu jȋ jo ùn jī tw̆ oèmt
HP in.soon.future search 1PP HP CTXT-1 1PP exist one fish CTXT-3 someone HP here in water REL walk

181. noè aod oemt kaéd noè aw fú ank ȃgk tōni èt ál
2PP is.good go hear 2PP CTXT-1 1PP in.soon.future sing Tony in recital.hall
You really should go to hear Tony sing live in concert while there's still time.

182. ōgk gìg al yw jaag ank tȃ gkyu poèd qā pĕ tīd tol ank
wonder daughter for.recent.past CTXT-4 father in.soon.future QP who marry but NEG search she in.soon.future
The father said that his daughter has been wondering who she should marry, but she will not search anytime soon.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Znex wrote:NEW CHALLENGER: ZNEX
Welcome Fellow Player! [:)]

182. Chö dhabs lé, gü cha krömens lö, gü san lí chethset ba azh höidaikh sho, kröné höibuteten, arkfö fap la íarpané ba zhdazh höitnaikezh sho, ngamath.
DEF father-NOM AUX.PAST, CONJ DEF daughter-NOM AUX.PresPRF, CONJ 3SG-NOM AUX.FUT who-ACC PTCL marry should-DISC PTCL, recently wonder-DISC, but 3SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES soon PTCL look.for intend-DISC PTCL, say
The father said that his daughter has been wondering who she should marry, but she will not search anytime soon.

183. Chü tubeksüv chí alsís övrözölön, sa böípwans shtegölalön theu lé, chan lé sít sí aidalsíb nggavökhílölíb sfen dimtel sho, bözh.
DEF corner-LOC DEF room-GEN ball.up.PresPrfPTPL-NOM, INDEF little.girl-NOM angry-NOM very-AdADJ AUX.PAST, REL-NOM AUX.PAST 1SG-ACC INDEF bear-POST kill.FutPTPL-POST like look.at PTCL, sit
Sitting in a ball in the corner of the room was a very angry little girl, looking at me like a bear about to kill.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
PTSnoop
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PTSnoop »

181. Atøni, tsauzo nguanólıkél, limlauthaph kutai, ngu tomaln.
[ ʔátøni, tsáwʃo ŋwanólɨkel, límlawtʰapʰ kútaj, ŋu tómaln . ]
a-toni, tsauzo nguanó-no-ké-l, lím-lau-tha-ph kutai, ngú tóm-mal-n .
TOPIC-Tony, concert sing-3SG-SUBJ-TOPICGOOD, visit-2SG-REL.IMP-GOOD urge, until lock-0-BAD.

182. Unái tsatanoph, anáuntong inaunte éesnoløn nʉ náanol poph ngøia kʉ́ʉnos.
[ ʔunáj tsátanopʰ, ʔanáwntoŋ ʔináwnte é:snoløn ny ná:nol pópʰ ŋøjá ky:nós . ]
unái tsata-no-ph, a-náuntong inaumte iuas-no-lø-n nʉ nat-no-l póph ngø-ia kʉt-no-s .
father speak-3SG-GOOD, TOPIC-daughter someone marry-3SG-TOPIC.OPT-BAD such ponder-3SG-TOPICGOOD but near-TEMP hunt-3SG-TOPICBAD.

183. Taino mʉkhará cʉphia amós ekí enáicǿøzu ui, luapsonokén khauflak i nglø nølın tøs .
[ tájno mykʰaʁá xypʰjá ʔamós ʔɪkí ʔenájxø:ʃu wí, lwapsonokén kʰáwflak ʔi ŋlø nølɨn tøs . ]
tái-no-n mʉkh-rá cʉphi-e a-mós e-ki e-náicøz-zu ui, luas-pso-no-ké-n kháuflak i nglø nø-no-n tøs .
curl-3SG-BAD corner-LOC room-GEN TOPIC-girl ADJ-small ADJ-angry-very INDEF, kill-almost-3SG-SUBJ-BAD bear IRRELEV like look-3SG-BAD 1SG.

Sitting in a ball in the corner of the room was a very angry little girl, looking at me like a bear about to kill.

184. Iictøps, miatsøph kianʉie, poph nez tauungaph pefet nez acʉphi efnókoth tørı phe nautsøph kuaphuratøph nʉie.
[ jíxtøps, mjátsøpʰ kjányje, pópʰ néʃ táwuŋapʰ péfet néʃ ʔáxypʰi ʔefnókotʰ tøʁɨ pʰé náwtsøpʰ kwápʰuʁatøpʰ nýje . ]
iic-tøs-ph, mias-tø-ph kie-nʉ-ie, póph nez táukh-nga-ph pefet nez a-cʉphi e-fnókoth tø-e phe naus-tø-ph kuáphur-tø-ph nʉ-ie
TOPIC-game play-1SG-GOOD enjoy-1SG-GOOD NEG-such-because, but ifthen shut-3-GOOD nail ifthen prize take-1SG-GOOD pay-1SG-GOOD house-because ADJ-new 1SG-GEN such-because.

I'm not playing this game because I like it, but because - if all goes well - the winnings should pay for my new house.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

184. Ve helkegs la, vaçte sí la hengeveçö bvéíansfal sho, jnéal, arkfö híaufans lív mníéí haudnef sho, vaçte cha vezíutöijaflensan sí lí chö béöbsöt rhashpeböt ba ngövezh hekalokh sho, sí la chí íönselsít hengelít hedravnath.
DEF.NEG that-NOM.NEG AUX.PRES, because 1SG-NOM AUX.PRES thus enjoy PTCL, but everything-NOM AUX.FUT.IMPERS all-ADV go.well-SPEC PTCL, because DEF prize.money-INSTR 1SG-NOM AUX.FUT DEF house-ACC new-ACC PTCL pay.for be.able-CONCL PTCL 1SG-NOM AUX.PRES DEF game-ACC this-ACC do-CONCL
I'm not playing this game because I like it, but because - if all goes well - the winnings should pay for my new house.

185. Fí la hengeveçö nair sferül: shtanö söb lé síb shut ba förhífaz zhgöchez sho, sí lé chö shebsöv ersfaneböv thkai híau ba förhífaz ölzdenü hekalokh.
1SG-NOM AUX.PRES thus only know: when 3SG-NOM AUX.PAST 1SG-POST with PTCL dance begin PTCL, 1SG-NOM AUX.PAST DEF night-LOC entire-LOC over.and.over-ADV all-ADV PTCL dance irrealis-ADV be.able
I only know when he began to dance with me, I could have danced, danced, danced all night.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Andlat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Andlat »

1. Peter ëan iloinen fún hína bäjan híno gúvar aitaa.
Peter be.PAST happy as 3SG try.PAST 3SG.POSS friend help.INF.
Trying to help his friend made Peter happy.

2. Prú a ruhötúta, këlsarú John muistimeran mör taalökö hyö híno awíkekú, ëan kwager pieni, kanapölí, ömenai thojan yökut, hlaka hyö wäkínamúteri, pe pullöi hyö lépatan, tëlakú kukai viikön, lë vatít lanal yökut.
In DEF basket, that John carry.PAST to house of 3SG.POSS mother, be.PAST ham small, chicken, apple.PL green some, bag of nut.PL, two bottle.PL of milk, seven flower.PL yellow, and clothes clean some.
In the basket John was carrying to his mother’s house was a small ham, a chicken, some green apples, a bag of nuts, two bottles of milk, seven yellow roses, and some clean clothes.

3. Jim mënan jim breu híno välis.
Jim have.PAST bird on 3SG.POSS shoulder.
Jim had a bird sitting on his shoulder.

4. Sharon, a úmaní inir pakë välir, gratas bístonaurígato túha lë röpa vanköwú mönesti pär henkiloi hwe wöyujithas hane bova hana hlëthas prú a arfö aisúmúke.
Sharon, DEF actor female beautiful blonde, wear.PRES sunglasses dark-colored and hat big often so.that person.PL NEG know 3SG.ACC when 3SG drink.PRES in DEF park.
Sharon, the beautiful blonde actress, often wears dark sunglasses and a big hat so that people don’t know her when she drinks in the park.

5. Becky, a inopagen këlsarú, Rachel ayatelan, tarfijan wútífa, hwe sílan prú tël anarúai breu a puhoilin mör Sarah.
Becky, DEF girl that, Rachel think.PAST, need.PAST apologize.INF, NEG speak.PAST in three day.PL on DEF phone to Sarah.
Becky, the girl that Rachel thought needed to apologize, has not spoken to Sarah on the phone in three days.

184. Mína hwe leikkíat pelit masún pöska mina núijas yíne, hwëlë pöska a hyekamínt pitaisa ölin míno taalökö västir pövkuras, fa kaikselva húvin sisúmenas.
1SG NEG play.PROG game this because 1SG like.PRES 3SG.ACC, but because DEF prize should for 1SG.POSS house new pay.PRES, if everything well go.PRES.

185. Mína waatietas grusën bova hína saakalesan avúla míne nyípekta, mina tyalyësa aurana kaikki nyípektar.
1SG know.PRES only when 3SG begin.PAST with 1SG dance.INF, 1SG be.able night all dance.PERF
I only know when he began to dance with me, I could have danced, danced, danced all night.

186. A inire avúla grázinti yakaupúlan këlsarú tena hwe soukas ölin giöten breu a sökajuni útran.
DEF woman with freckles ask.PAST that 2PL NEG sit.PRES for hour on DEF chair.PL wet.
The woman with freckles asked that you (pl.) do not sit on the wet chairs for an hour.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

186. Chöi sasats chöik zrautsöif lé, gü hésh lé vauk övwamsauch plémníamauch fau kumsaub srem nzhí mükfé hübözh sho, swö rönjöth.
DEF woman-NOM DEF.PL freckle-INSTR.PL AUX.PAST, CONJ 2PL-NOM.NEG AUX.PAST INDEF.PL.NEG chair-ACC.PL.NEG wet-ACC.PL.NEG INDEF hour-POST for ADV kindly-ADV sit-IMP PTCL, ADV tell
The woman with freckles asked that you (pl.) not sit on the wet chairs for an hour.

187.Öçek líb hauhiçtel sho, öçek lí, gü fenfe lí fü augangaudsüt éfügarhadüt babakídüt ba thlan höidaikh, kfö gü chí içtelívíézöks lín öçket höi vgüth íe söik poundlatsöif mnötöif, gü öçek la hereçkeveçö íe dhbirta'u nöi sho, höizçeth sho, ba rhagaçön hedaikh.
2SG-NOM AUX.FUT.CAUSPASS see.on.TV-SPEC PTCL, 2SG-NOM AUX.FUT, CONJ 2SG-NOM.NEG AUX.FUT INDEF.NEG jacket-ACC.NEG black.white-ACC.NEG striped-ACC.NEG PTCL wear should-DISC, and CONJ DEF TV.camera-NOM AUX.FUT.CAUS 2SG-ACC PTCL heavy-NOM more-AdADJ INDEF.PL pound-INSTR.PL ten-INSTR.PL, CONJ 2SG-NOM AUX.PRES thus than-AdADV genuine-ADV be PTCL, appear-DISC PTCL, PTCL remember should-CONCL
If you're going to appear on television, you should remember not to wear a black and white striped jacket and that the camera will make you look ten pounds heavier than you actually are.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
PTSnoop
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PTSnoop »

185. Poph ratsotʉnoképh tøkéz nʉia, ratsomuatøph ruiaphia nil nʉ nuáathøph tang.
[ popʰ ʁatsotynoképʰ tøkéʃ nýja, ʁátsomwatøpʰ ʁújapʰja nil ny nwá:tʰøpʰ taŋ . ]
póph rásto-tʉm-no-ké-ph tø-kéz nʉ-ia, rásto-mua-tø-ph rui-aph-ia nil nʉ nuath-tø-ph tang .
but dance-begin-3SG-SUBJ-GOOD 1SG-alongside such-TEMP, dance-can-1SG-GOOD night-through-TEMP entire such know-1SG-GOOD only.

186. Ficaph khaipsi kia nauie enek náuruphán, nʉ thonoph phia eclakékh.
[ fíxapʰ kʰájpsi kja náwje ʔének náwʁupʰán, ny tʰónopʰ pʰja ʔexlakékʰ . ]
fic-aph khaiphsi kie pnauie e-nek pnáu-ru-phá-n, nʉ thó-no-ph phia e-clakékh .
hour-through one NEG chair ADJ-wet sit-2PL-IMP-BAD, such command-3SG-GOOD woman ADJ-freckles.

The woman with freckles asked that you (pl.) do not sit on the wet chairs for an hour.

187. Nez ranaupiazucthaklaunʉph nez kia sualauphán naúunel etak erʉiiakh, tfot nikhʉngiia miøs engai euaun koze miøslaun nʉ ngailaun, nʉ kuanlauiuph.
[ neʃ ʁánawpjaʃuxtʰaklawnypʰ neʃ kja swalawpʰán náw:nel ʔétak ʔéʁyjiakʰ, tfot níkʰyŋija mjɔs ʔéŋaj ʔéwawn kóʃe mjɔ́slawn ny ŋájlawn, ny kwánlawjupʰ . ]
nez rnaupiazuc-thak-lau-nʉ-ph nez kie sua-lau-phá-n náuphngnel e-tak e-rui-iekh, tfot níkhʉngi-ie mios e-ngai e-uaun koz-e mios-lau-n nʉ ngai-lau-n, nʉ kuan-lau-iu-ph .
ifthen television-inside-2SG-FUT-GOOD ifthen NEG wear-2SG-IMP-BAD jacket ADJ-stripe ADJ-black-white, and camera-because weight ADJ-apparent ADJ-greaterthan 2SG-GEN weight-2SG-BAD such seem-2SG-BAD, such remember-2SG-OPT-GOOD.

If you're going to appear on television, you should remember not to wear a black and white striped jacket and that the camera will make you look ten pounds heavier than you actually are.

188. Nez anøi erén laue raul nauslaunʉ conéth esia flukhefʉlaunʉ, nez ueclauph økh ngu tsatløph fo .
[ neʃ ʔánøj ʔeʁén láwe ʁawl náwslawny xonétʰ ʔɪsjá flúkʰefylawny, neʃ wéxlawpʰ ʔøkʰ ŋu tsátløpʰ fo . ]
nez anøi e-rén lau-e raul naus-lau-nʉ-n comnéth e-sie flu-khefʉl-lau-nʉ-n, nez uec-lau-ph økh ngú tsal-tø-ph fó .
ifthen stick ADJ-sharp 2SG-GEN truly take-2SG-FUT-BAD goat ADJ-that poke-eye-2SG-FUT-BAD, ifthen wait-2SG-GOOD before until flee-1SG-GOOD finish.

If you're really going to hit that goat in the eye with your sharp stick, then please wait for me to have run away first.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

188. Öçek la che bithset chí behejölsís helkelís chí vöilsín ötelín ba zvíchith flaní hautnaikezh sho, de öçek la, gü sí lau haurhpelköz sho, mükfé hühösef.
2SG-NOM AUX.PRES DEF eye-ACC DEF goat-GEN that-GEN DEF stick-INSTR sharp-INSTR PTCL poke really intend-SPEC PTCL, then 2SG-NOM AUX.PRES, CONJ 1SG-NOM AUX.FutPRF run.away-SPEC PTCL, kindly-ADV wait-IMP
If you're really going to hit that goat in the eye with your sharp stick, then please wait for me to have run away first.

189. Öçek la sík, gü thpau lé chau ídwönarsaut plémníaraut öçkelaraut chö éjebsöv síteböv chelöi höihathían sho, ba íaugavel hökalaf?
2SG-NOM AUX.PRES 1SG-DAT, CONJ 2SG-NOM AUX.PAST DEF tongue-ACC wet-ACC 2SG.POSS.ADJ-ACC DEF ear-LOC 1SG.POSS.ADJ-LOC why put-DISC PTCL, PTCL tell would.like-INTERR
Would you like to tell me why you've put your wet tongue in my ear?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Andlat
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Andlat »

187. Fa sína ëas breu latikötel hyö mielikuvu elökúvat ëa, pitaisa sína hwëima laisúnka lë fälir huajas hwe grata huajas, lë këlsarú a bavíteläjun sine pithivúmal sä kwíkamëi kakai lísa nyátas puí sína ëas rëas.
If 2SG be.PRES on box of picture moving be.INF, should 2SG jacket black and white-colored NEG wear.INF remember.PRES, and that DEF camera 2SG.ACC make.FUT ten pound.PL heavy more appear.to.be.PRES than 2SG be actually.
If you are going to appear on television, you should remember to not wear a black and white striped jacket and that the camera will make you look ten pounds heavier than you actually are.

188. Fa sína nyävas vuohi masín preu a kayígent menestíkaapa, këlsarú, víte, öthöttas ölin míni ewöa pois mötha.
If 2SG plan.PRES goat that in DEF eye hit.INF, then, please, wait.PRES for 1SG.DAT first away run.INF.
If you are going to hit that goat in the eye, then please wait for me to run away first.

189. Halúaisenas sína míne säna, tëpu faranar sína síno lúsen útran preu míno vakúlo?
Would.like.PRES 2SG 1SG.ACC tell.INF, why put.PERF 2SG 2SG.POSS tongue wet in 1SG.POSS ear?
Would you like to tell me why you’ve put your wet tongue in my ear?

190. Rob, hua pirúston ëas, kútöbúgenen a hamaahakí saksí a gravtistú hyö a inire hyapathas, hwëlë selva käpan, pöska yína pithívúman híne iloinen.
Rob, who artist be.PRES, see.PAST DEF spider into DEF soup of DEF woman jump.PRES, but nothing say.PAST, because 3SG make.PAST 3SG.ACC happy.
Rob, who is an artist, saw the spider jump into the woman’s soup but said nothing, because it made him happy.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

190. Raubs lé, chöb la sí ösfandíls nöi sho, höi chö mvabsöv chöi sasatsöis chau sömegezalörsaut chí knöifepelsís tel, arkfö fökh lé, vaçte che hereçkeths lén söböt höi knabösfalökeb nöi sho, shahövepsat hengamath.
Rob-NOM AUX.PAST, REL-NOM AUX.PRES INDEF artist-NOM be PTCL, PTCL DEF soup-LOC DEF woman-GEN DEF jump.PresGER-ACC DEF spider-GEN see, but 3SG-NOM.NEG AUX.PAST, because DEF that-NOM AUX.PAST.CAUS 3SG-ACC PTCL Schadenfreudeish-NOM be PTCL, nothing-ACC say-CONCL
Rob, who is an artist, saw the spider jump into the woman’s soup but said nothing, because it made him happy.

191. Vöi sasadhs helkedh ví içtefsín la techetneka'u éhö mva mölman, arkfö söit la eshpíret zhö autrösöt nöi, kfö sauk íalörsaup la söitöit mvaçtö heksegef.
DEF.NEG woman-NOM.NEG that-NOM.NEG DEF television-INSTR.NEG AUX.PRES beautiful-ADV most-AdADV to.be.sure-ADV sing, but 3SG-NOM AUX.PRES blonde-NOM and hot-NOM be, and INDEF.PL person-NOM.PL AUX.PRES 3SG-ACC for.that.reason-ADV pick-CONCL
True, that woman on television may not sing the most beautifully, but she's blond and hot, and that's why people are picking her.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名