The New Islogian Thread

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

The New Islogian Thread

Post by All4Ɇn »

Spoiler:
Salàm! I do not remember when I last posted in the old Islogian thread but I think that too much has changed for me to go back to it now. Islogian is a romance language spoken primarily in modern day western Turkey. The language developed from the use of Classical and Vulgar Latin in the Byzantine empire rather than Greek. Due to it's location, as well as being conquered by the Ottomans, Islogian borrows heavily from Arabic but also Turkish and Persian to a lesser extent.

Phonology
/m n ɲ ŋ/ <m n gn ng>
/p b t d k g/ <p b t~th d c g>
/t͡s d͡z t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/ <ç~ţ z ci gi>
/s z ʃ ʒ/ <s ḑ~s ş~sci j>
/f v x/ <f~ph v ch~gh>
/j w/ <y~i u>
/r l ɫ ʎ/ <r l ł gli>

/i ɨ u/ <i~y â~ê~î~ô~û u>
/e ø o/ <e~é œu~œù o>
/ə/ <ă~ĕ~ĭ>
/ɛ œ/ <e~è œu~œ>
/a ɑ/ <a~á a~à>
Spoiler:
/k g/ become /x/ before <i e> (accented or non-accented), except in recent loanwords.
/kw/ is spelled <qu>
<ci gi sci gli> are used before vowels for /t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ʃ ʎ/
<cĩ gĩ ş glĩ> are used before consonants or word finally for /t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ʃ ʎ/. <ş> also occurs elsewhere/
<s> is pronounced /z/ only when singular between vowels
<h> is silent
/ɛ œ a/ only contrast with /e ø ɑ/ in stressed syllables. Elsewhere, it's always /ɛ œ a/
Vowels are always marked when not stressed penultimately
<â ê î ô û> become <ȃ ȇ ȋ ȏ ȗ> when stressed non penultimately
<ă ĕ ĭ> become <ǎ ě ǐ> when stressed non penultimately
<aî> is pronounced /aj/
<oi> is pronounced /oj/

Outside of recent loanwords, <ç> is only used in the following words and their variations while <ţ> is used elsewhere:
Chinçir- Pig
Cůç- 2PL.cook/2PL.bake
Ço- This
Ḑiç- 2PL.say
Faç- 2PL.do
Façonnare- To fashion/shape
França- France
Garçòn- Waiter
Garçonna- Waitress
Iaç- 2PL.lie
Îçlo- Islogian
Laçif- Pretty/attractive
Plaç- 2PL.please
Poç- 2PL.can
Taç- 2PL.be quiet
Dual/Plural & Cases
Islogian has a dual number in addition to it's plural and most nouns can be dualized and pluralized. Diacritics that affect only stressed are removed when they occur on the final syllable of a word, are redundant when making the plural forms, or in all situations when making the dual forms. Recent borrowings from other languages recieve the same dual and plural forms as the ones present in the borrowed language.
There are 3 cases in Îçlo: nominative, objective, and genitive. The nominative object defines the subject of a sentence, and is also used for the indirect objects of a noun after any preposition besides a. The nominative is also used in the verbs where the "object" matches the subject and also as the direct object in a small amount of verbs. These 2 kinds of verbs are called "nominative verbs". The objective is used for the direct object in most verbs as well as the indirect object after the preposition a. The genitive is used after all uses of the prepostion de except when acting as a partitive article. It also occurs when describing something belonging to something when the something possessed is not mentioned. In this usage, the preposition de is dropped.
Case endings are applied after the dualizing/pluralizing. Except for the masculine plural genitive and the feminine plural objective, as well as any situation where they are redundant, diacritics that affect only stress are kept. No noun is irregular only in case. Proper nouns (all capitalized nouns) do not have different forms depending on the case. Recent borrowings from other languages are not declined.
Below are the different declining groups. The first row is the nominative case, the second the objective, and the third the genitive. The first column is the singular, the second the dual, and the third the plural.

Dualizing/Pluralizing/Declining Groups

Group 1: Masculine with a form ending with -an. Sample Word: An- Year
An Anani Ani
An Ananin Anin
Anin Ananini Anini

Group 2: Masculine with a form ending with -nini. Sample Word: Nino- Baby
Nino Ninoni Nini
Ninon Ninonin Ninin
Ninoni Ninonini Nini

Group 3: Masculine and ending in a consonant without a form ending with -an/-nini. Sample Word: Morj- Walrus
Morj Morjani Morji
Morjan Morjanin Morjin
Morjin Morjanini Morjini

Group 4: Masculine and ending with -o/-u/-e. Sample Word: Gĩnu- Knee
Gĩnu Gĩnuni Gĩni
Gĩnun Gĩnunin Gĩnin
Gĩnuni Gĩnunini Gĩnini

Group 5: Masculine and ending with -a/-i. Sample Word: Problema- Problem
Problema Problemani Probleme
Probleman Problemanin Problemen
Problemani Problemanini Problemeni

Group 6: Feminine and ending with a consonant. Sample Word: Sahat- Hour
Sahat Sahat Sahate
Sahatan Sahataîtan Sahatetan
Sahatit Sahataît Sahatet

Group 7: Feminine and ending with -e. Sample Word: Sorte- Kind
Sorte Sortet Sorti
Sortetan Sortetan Sortitan
Sortet Sortetit Sortit

Group 8: Feminine and ending with -a/-i/-o/-u. Sample Word: Madina- City
Madina Madinat Madine
Madinatan Madinatan Madinetan
Madinat Madinatit Madinet

Let me know if you want to see more of this [:D]
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 12 Aug 2015 03:36, edited 1 time in total.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: The New Islogian Thread

Post by Shemtov »

I'm interested to see the conhistory behind this language, like the governmental status of the Islogians, whether they're mostly Christian or Muslim etc. because of the sociolinguistic changes such factors would cause.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

All4Ɇn wrote:Salàm! I do not remember when I last posted in the old Islogian thread but I think that too much has changed for me to go back to it now. Islogian is a romance language spoken primarily in modern day western Turkey. The language developed from the use of Classical and Vulgar Latin in the Byzantine empire rather than Greek. Due to it's location, as well as being conquered by the Ottomans, Islogian borrows heavily from Arabic but also Turkish and Persian to a lesser extent.
Nice to see a (new) thread on this. Assuming Greek didn't go extinct in Greece itself, is there any Greek influence in the language?
All4Ɇn wrote:/p b t d k g/ <p b t~th c g>
All4Ɇn wrote:/f v x/ <f~ph v ch~gh>
/j w/ <y~i u>
What determines the spellings of /t f x j/, if anything? Also, I think you might be missing a <d> there, but I could be wrong.
All4Ɇn wrote:/k g/ become /x/ before <i e> (accented or non-accented), except in recent loanwords.
If possible, you could please clarify what you mean here? How are they differentiated from /t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/? Sorry, there's probably an explanation I'm missing.
All4Ɇn wrote:<cĩ gĩ ş glĩ> are used before consonants or word finally for /t͡ʃ d͡ʒ ʃ ʎ/. <ş> also occurs elsewhere/
Where else does <ş> occur? Why would it be used elsewhere instead of <sci>?
All4Ɇn wrote:<â ê î ô û> become <ȃ ȇ ȋ ȏ ȗ> when stressed non penultimately
<ă ĕ ĭ> become <ǎ ě ǐ> when stressed non penultimately
Are these typos or am I missing something else?
All4Ɇn wrote:<aî> is pronounced /aj/
<oi> is pronounced /oj/
As opposed to /a.ɨ/ and /o.i/, respectively?
All4Ɇn wrote:Outside of recent loanwords, <ç> is only used in the following words and their variations while <ţ> is used elsewhere:
All4Ɇn wrote:Cůç- 2PL.cook/2PL.bake
All4Ɇn wrote:Façonnare- To fashion/shape
Why is <ç> so rare? Also, is consonant length phonemic? How is <ů> pronounced?
All4Ɇn wrote:/ɛ œ a/ only contrast with /e ø ɑ/ in stressed syllables. Elsewhere, it's always /ɛ œ a/
I assume both sets are <e œu a> when unstressed, but <è œ á> and <é œù à>, respectively, when stressed? How are other vowels marked when stressed?

This probably ties into at least one other question above, but how are the spellings of /i ɨ ə/ determined?
All4Ɇn wrote:Islogian has a dual number in addition to it's plural and most nouns can be dualized and pluralized. Diacritics that affect only stressed are removed when they occur on the final syllable of a word, are redundant when making the plural forms, or in all situations when making the dual forms. Recent borrowings from other languages recieve the same dual and plural forms as the ones present in the borrowed language.
There are 3 cases in Îçlo: nominative, objective, and genitive. The nominative object defines the subject of a sentence, and is also used for the indirect objects of a noun after any preposition besides a. The nominative is also used in the verbs where the "object" matches the subject and also as the direct object in a small amount of verbs. These 2 kinds of verbs are called "nominative verbs". The objective is used for the direct object in most verbs as well as the indirect object after the preposition a. The genitive is used after all uses of the prepostion de except when acting as a partitive article. It also occurs when describing something belonging to something when the something possessed is not mentioned. In this usage, the preposition de is dropped.
Case endings are applied after the dualizing/pluralizing. Except for the masculine plural genitive and the feminine plural objective, as well as any situation where they are redundant, diacritics that affect only stress are kept. No noun is irregular only in case. Proper nouns (all capitalized nouns) do not have different forms depending on the case. Recent borrowings from other languages are not declined.
Below are the different declining groups. The first row is the nominative case, the second the objective, and the third the genitive. The first column is the singular, the second the dual, and the third the plural.
Interesting! How are these different forms derived? I like how loanwords are treated, and how proper nouns don't have different case forms. Also, the way in which the different cases are used is very cool.

Again, if you don't mind, could you possible clarify what you mean by the things you've mentioned about how diacritics and such affect the spellings of certain forms here?
All4Ɇn wrote:Let me know if you want to see more of this [:D]
Certainly!
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Shemtov wrote:I'm interested to see the conhistory behind this language, like the governmental status of the Islogians, whether they're mostly Christian or Muslim etc. because of the sociolinguistic changes such factors would cause.
The Islogians are predominately Muslim and this change has heavily impacted the language as well as their relationship with other countries. The Italians and the Islogians are long standing enemies that ultimately goes back to each country considering itself the true descendant of the glory of the Roman empire. The Islogians and the Italians have fought many wars over the years and it's essentially this long standing feud that led to Islogian control of Dalmatia (which continues to this day) as well as the Islogians fighting on the winning side in both World Wars.
Although the Ottoman empire still fell, the Islogian influence on the World Wars has led to the Turks and Islogians maintaining control over a huge area of land in a partially democratic oligarchy that was initially led by Ottoman descendants. The areas in the Caucasus and Kurdistan were won in wars against the USSR and England. Here's a map of the the country they currently occupy which I've yet to give a name.
Spoiler:
The provinces are colored according to the percentage of people who speak Islogian there.
Garnet: 90-100%
Light Purple: 75-90%
Dark Purple: 55-75%
Tan: 50-55%
Blue: ~40%
Grey Blue: 20-40%
Cyan: 10-20%
Yellow: >10%

shimobaatar wrote:Nice to see a (new) thread on this. Assuming Greek didn't go extinct in Greece itself, is there any Greek influence in the language?
Not as heavy an influence but there is definitely a small Greek influence. For the most part, it'd be more likely that modern Greek would have an Islogian influence
shimobaatar wrote:What determines the spellings of /t f x j/, if anything? Also, I think you might be missing a <d> there, but I could be wrong.
Etymology. Although it's not necessarily as straightforward as say French due to influence from languages like Persian and Arabic. For example the word for Persian is spelled <phars> to show it's relation to Latin <persicus> even though it's a Persian loanword. And yep I was missing a <d>. Thanks for catching it!
shimobaatar wrote:If possible, you could please clarify what you mean here? How are they differentiated from /t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/? Sorry, there's probably an explanation I'm missing.
Well like in Italian /k g/ before <i e> is spelled <ch gh>. However Islogian loses the contrast between /x/ (which is already spelled <ch gh>) and /k g/ (also spelled <ch gh>) before <i e> except in recent loanwords where they're most likely going to be spelled <k g>.
shimobaatar wrote:Where else does <ş> occur? Why would it be used elsewhere instead of <sci>?
This is probably the biggest inconsistency as <ş> occurs in many words <sci> could work. All of these words are Turkish, Arabic, or Persian but there's not really an easy way to know when since many words from those languages use <sci>. It often comes down to what I think looks best in those situations.
shimobaatar wrote:Are these typos or am I missing something else?
All vowels are marked when stressed non-penultimately. Vowels written with a circumflex are written with inverted breves when non-penultimately stressed while vowels with a breve are written with a caron when non-penultimately stressed.
shimobaatar wrote:As opposed to /a.ɨ/ and /o.i/, respectively?
Yep!
shimobaatar wrote:Why is <ç> so rare? Also, is consonant length phonemic? How is <ů> pronounced?
The rareness of <ç> is the result of a spelling reform that was fictionally carried out. Essentially <ţ> and <ç> were both used without consistency (etymologic or otherwise) and as a result of the spelling reform <ç> was removed except in the most common words it occurred in. Consonant length is not phonemic but double consonants are written either for etymology, or (in rarer cases) for connection to Italian. <ů> is pronounced just like <u> but is used to show the sound change /wo/>/u/.
shimobaatar wrote:I assume both sets are <e œu a> when unstressed, but <è œ á> and <é œù à>, respectively, when stressed
Yep!
shimobaatar wrote:How are other vowels marked when stressed?
I already did /ɨ ə/ above so:
<i> is <ì> when stressed non-penultimately except between vowels and after c/g/gl/sc and before a vowel where it's written <í>
<y> is <ý> (relatively rare)
<u> is <ù>
<ů> is never non-penultimately stressed
<o> is <ò>
<aî> is <aȋ>
<oi> is <òi>
shimobaatar wrote:This probably ties into at least one other question above, but how are the spellings of /i ɨ ə/ determined?
Etymology. I'm using that word so much it's starting to sound like French [:P]
shimobaatar wrote:Interesting! How are these different forms derived? I like how loanwords are treated, and how proper nouns don't have different case forms. Also, the way in which the different cases are used is very cool.
Thanks [:)] . The forms are mostly derived from Arabic except for the nominative plural but are lack the vowel changes depending on case that Arabic has. I know that case is typically something not borrowed, but I think of it more along the lines of how Romanian borrowing a vocative than a language completely taking a case system from another one, especially considering the limited use of them in Islogian.
shimobaatar wrote:Again, if you don't mind, could you possible clarify what you mean by the things you've mentioned about how diacritics and such affect the spellings of certain forms here?
Words that are penultimately stressed go through many stress changes in the cases and numbers but the stress in these words always falls on the penultimate syllable. Words stressed elsewhere keep the stress on the syllable that it was on originally except if it's a masculine noun in the plural genitive, a feminine noun in the plural objective, or a noun of either gender in any case in the dual. In those situations the stress is always on the penultimate syllable regardless of the word. As words that are stressed non-penultimately tend to keep their accent marks in the singular and plural, they lose them when they end up being stressed penultimately. An example is the word Atùm (Dugong) which has the singular objective form Atuman. It's not written Atùman since it's already stressed penultimately and writing an accent mark there would be redundant.
shimobaatar wrote:Certainly!
Thanks!
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 12 Aug 2015 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

All4Ɇn wrote: The Islogians are predominately Muslim and this change has heavily impacted the language as well as their relationship with other countries. The Italians and the Islogians are long standing enemies that ultimately goes back to each country considering itself the true descendant of the glory of the Roman empire. The Islogians and the Italians have fought many wars over the years and it's essentially this long standing feud that led to Islogian control of Dalmatia (which continues to this day) as well as the Islogians fighting on the winning side in both World Wars.
Although the Ottoman empire still fell, the Islogian influence on the World Wars has led to the Turks and Islogians maintaining control over a huge area of land in a partially democratic oligarchy that was initially led by Ottoman descendants. The areas in the Caucasus and Kurdistan were won in wars against the USSR and England. Here's a map of the the country they currently occupy which I've yet to give a name.
Spoiler:
The provinces are colored according to the percentage of people who speak Islogian there.
Lovely, and clearly well thought-out!
All4Ɇn wrote:All vowels are marked when stressed non-penultimately. Vowels written with a circumflex are written with inverted breves when non-penultimately stressed while vowels with a breve are written with a caron when non-penultimately stressed.
Ahh, silly mistake on my part… I didn't notice the difference between the circumflexes and inverted breves or between the breves and carons. [xD]

Thank you for all the explanations! Hopefully we get to see more of the language soon!
(she)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

shimobaatar wrote:Lovely, and clearly well thought-out!
Merci [:)]
shimobaatar wrote:Ahh, silly mistake on my part… I didn't notice the difference between the circumflexes and inverted breves or between the breves and carons. [xD]
Glad you're not an Islogian [xP]
shimobaatar wrote:Thank you for all the explanations! Hopefully we get to see more of the language soon!
Is there anything you want to see? I have plenty on Islogian I haven't put on here yet but I'm not sure where to start.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

All4Ɇn wrote: Glad you're not an Islogian [xP]
Yeah, the font my computer mainly uses obviously wasn't designed by someone with Islogian in mind. [:P]
All4Ɇn wrote: Is there anything you want to see? I have plenty on Islogian I haven't put on here yet but I'm not sure where to start.
Well, if you've covered all of nominal morphology, perhaps you could move on to verbs?
(she)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Regular Verb Conjugation For Simple Tenses
Islogian regular verbs are probably the most uncreative part of the whole language, but I'm very fond of many irregular verbs as well as the imperative conjugation. There are 3 endings: -are, -ere, & -ire.

Present
Spoiler:
Avare- To Love
Io avo
Tu avi
Îl ava
Noi aviam
Voi avat
Essi avano

Cadere- To Fall
Io cado
Tu cadi
Îl cade
Noi cadem
Voi cadet
Essi cadono

Finire- To Finish
Io finio
Tu fini
Îl finĭ
Noi finim
Voi finit
Essi finono
As there are no continuous tenses in Islogian, the simple present is also used for the present continuous

Preterite
Spoiler:
Habitare- To Live/Reside
Io habitâ
Tu habitaşti
Îl habitò
Noi habitamă
Voi habitáşt
Essi habitauno

Credere- To Believe
Io credei
Tu credeşti
Îl credé
Noi credemă
Voi credèşt
Essi credeuno

Servire- To Serve
Io servii
Tu servişti
Îl servì
Noi servimă
Voi servìşt
Essi serviono
The preterite is used for actions that happened in the past, much in the same way the passé composé is used in French and the passato prossimo is used in Italian.

Imperfect
Spoiler:
Parlare- To Speak/Talk
Io parlavo
Tu parlavi
Îl parlava
Noi parlavam
Voi parlavat
Essi parlavano

Correre- To Run
Io correvo
Tu correvi
Îl correva
Noi correvam
Voi correvat
Essi correvano

Dormire- To Sleep
Io dormivo
Tu dormivi
Îl dormiva
Noi dormivam
Voi dormivat
Essi dormivano
Future
Spoiler:
Dansare- To Dance
Io dans
Tu dansraȋ
Îl dans
Noi dansrém
Voi dansrét
Essi dansrano
There is only one conjugation for all 3 endings in the future. However, verbs with a stem ending in Ii/Ll/Łł/Rr/Uu/Ww add an <ă> before the endings if it's an -are verb, or add an <ĕ> before the endings if it's an -ere or -ire verb. This is the only way to express the future in Islogian.

Conditional
Spoiler:
Batterere- To Beat
Io battre
Tu battreşti
Îl battreve
Noi battrem
Voi battreşt
Essi battrebo
There is only one conjugation for all 3 endings in the conditional. However, verbs with a stem ending in Ii/Ll/Łł/Rr/Uu/Ww add an <ă> before the endings if it's an -are verb, or add an <ĕ> before the endings if it's an -ere or -ire verb.

Imperative
Spoiler:
Parare- To Cover/Shield
*Tu parà
Noi pariam
Voi pariat
Essi parino
*Becomes para when negated

Decidere- To Decide
*Tu decidè
Noi decidiam
Voi decidiat
Essi decidano
*Becomes decide when negated

Definire- To Define
*Tu definǐ
Noi definiam
Voi definiat
Essi definano
*Becomes definĭ when negated
Subjunctive
Spoiler:
Utilḑare- To Use
Io utilḑi
Tu utilḑi
Îl utilḑi
Noi utilḑiam
Voi utilḑiat
Essi utilḑino

Temere- To Fear
Io tema
Tu tema
Îl tema
Noi temiam
Voi temiat
Essi temano

Sentire- To Feel/Smell
Io senta
Tu senta
Îl senta
Noi sentiam
Voi sentiat
Essi sentano
Past Participle:
Spoiler:
-Are verb: -eo
-Ere verb: -uo
-Ire verb: -io
Present Participle:
Spoiler:
-Are verb: agno
-Ere verb: egno
-Ire verb: egno
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 18 Aug 2015 06:16, edited 3 times in total.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Here are the language maps for the 2nd and 3rd most spoken languages in the country of the Islogians

Turkish
Spoiler:
Greek:
Spoiler:
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

All4Ɇn wrote:Here are the language maps for the 2nd and 3rd most spoken languages in the country of the Islogians

Turkish
Spoiler:
Greek:
Spoiler:
Sorry if I have missed something, but if Islogians were part of the Ottoman Empire, then wouldn't they be heavily turkicized in Turkey; separated during WWI and unable to form the empire shown?
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

qwed117 wrote:Sorry if I have missed something, but if Islogians were part of the Ottoman Empire, then wouldn't they be heavily turkicized in Turkey; separated during WWI and unable to form the empire shown?
I posted this earlier if that helps. Kind of got muddled in everything:
Spoiler:
The Islogians are predominately Muslim and this change has heavily impacted the language as well as their relationship with other countries. The Italians and the Islogians are long standing enemies that ultimately goes back to each country considering itself the true descendant of the glory of the Roman empire. The Islogians and the Italians have fought many wars over the years and it's essentially this long standing feud that led to Islogian control of Dalmatia (which continues to this day) as well as the Islogians fighting on the winning side in both World Wars.
Although the Ottoman empire still fell, the Islogian influence on the World Wars has led to the Turks and Islogians maintaining control over a huge area of land in a partially democratic oligarchy that was initially led by Ottoman descendants. The areas in the Caucasus and Kurdistan were won in wars against the USSR and England.
Essentially the Islogians are heavily influenced by Turkey in most respects, but continue to maintain a distinct cultural identity which includes opposing anything Italian. Something I should have mentioned though is that the Islogians do not control most of the government. The government is still heavily Turkey-centric even after the fall of the Ottoman empire. Also, because of the Western origins of the Islogians, it was much easier for the Ottomans to exert influence on Greece, Dalmatia, and Albania as it was seen less as a takeover and more of an advancement, with the Islogians being the prime example to show it. Although this worked in the past, the modern government is fairly corrupt, but as it's not a democracy it's easy to see why.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

All4Ɇn wrote:Regular Verb Conjugation For Simple Tenses
Islogian regular verbs are probably the most uncreative part of the whole language, but I'm very fond of many irregular verbs as well as the imperative conjugation. There are 3 endings: -are, -ere, & -ire.
All4Ɇn wrote:There is only one conjugation for all 3 endings in the future. However, verbs with a stem ending in Ii/Ll/Łł/Rr/Uu/Ww add an <ă> before the endings if it's an -are verb, or add an <ĕ> before the endings if it's an -ere or -ire verb. This is the only way to express the future in Islogian.
All4Ɇn wrote: There is only one conjugation for all 3 endings in the conditional. However, verbs with a stem ending in Ii/Ll/Łł/Rr/Uu/Ww add an <ă> before the endings if it's an -are verb, or add an <ĕ> before the endings if it's an -ere or -ire verb.
All4Ɇn wrote:Imperative
Spoiler:
Parare- To Cover/Shield
*Tu parà
Noi pariam
Voi pariat
Essi parino
*Becomes para when negated

Decidere- To Decide
*Tu decidè
Noi decidiam
Voi decidiat
Essi decidano
*Becomes decide when negated

Definire- To Define
*Tu definǐ
Noi definiam
Voi definiat
Essi definano
*Becomes definĭ when negated
While I am looking forward to hearing about irregular verbs, I wouldn't call regular verbs uncreative at all. I especially like how two "tenses" have only one set of endings for all 3 kinds of regular verbs, and how negative imperative verbs change in some cases.
All4Ɇn wrote:Here are the language maps for the 2nd and 3rd most spoken languages in the country of the Islogians

Turkish
Spoiler:
Greek:
Spoiler:
Nice maps!
(she)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Conjugation of Esre, Avere, and Ambiare
Esre (To Be), Avere (To Have), and Ambiare (To Go) are 3 of the most irregular verbs in Islogian, similar to most Romance languages. The infinitive Esre is irregularly pronounced [ˈɛz̪ːrɛ].

Esre
Spoiler:
Present
Io ḑono
Tu se
Îl è
Noi sem
Voi seţ
Essi sono

Preterite
Io fui
Tu fuşti
Îl fu
Noi fumă
Voi fuşt
Essi funo

Imperfect
Io ero
Tu eri
Îl era
Noi eravam
Voi eravat
Essi erano

Future
Io sarò
Tu saraȋ
Îl sarà
Noi sarém
Voi sarét
Essi sarano

Conditional
Io sare
Tu sareşti
Îl sareve
Noi sarem
Voi sareşt
Essi sarebo

Imperative
Tu sii
Noi siam
Voi siat
Essi siano

Subjunctive
Io sia
Tu sia
Îl sia
Noi siam
Voi siat
Essi siano

Past Participle: Suo
Present Participle: Stagno
Avere
Spoiler:
Present
Io ho
Tu haî
Îl ha
Noi havem
Voi havet
Essi hano

Preterite
Io avi
Tu aveşti
Îl ave
Noi avemă
Voi avèşt
Essi avero

Imperfect
Io avevo
Tu avevi
Îl aveva
Noi avevam
Voi avevat
Essi avevano

Future
Io avrò
Tu avraȋ
Îl avrà
Noi avrém
Voi avrét
Essi avrano

Conditional
Io avre
Tu avreşti
Îl avreve
Noi avrem
Voi avreşt
Essi avrebo

Imperative
*Tu aì
Noi ayam
Voi ayat
Essi ayano
*Becomes ai when negated

Subjunctive
Io ai
Tu ai
Îl ai
Noi ayam
Voi ayat
Essi ayano

Past Participle: Avuo
Present Participle: Avegno
Ambiare
Spoiler:
Present
Io vo
Tu vaî
Îl va
Noi ambiam
Voi ambiat
Essi vano

Preterite
Io drâ
Tu draşti
Îl drò
Noi dramă
Voi dráşt
Essi drauno

Imperfect
Io ambiavo
Tu ambiavi
Îl ambiava
Noi ambiavam
Voi ambiavat
Essi ambiavano

Future
Io irò
Tu iraȋ
Îl irà
Noi irém
Voi irét
Essi irano

Conditional
Io ire
Tu ireşti
Îl ireve
Noi irem
Voi ireşt
Essi irebo

Imperative
*Tu và
Noi viam
Voi viat
**Essi vano
*Becomes va when negated
**Becomes vagno before a pronoun

Subjunctive
Io ii
Tu ii
Îl ii
Noi iyam
Voi iyat
Essi iyino

Past Participle: Dreo
Present Participle: Ambiagno
In addition to Ambiare, the following derivatives have the same irregular conjugation:

Adambiare- To Approach
Deambiare- To Walk (Leisurely)/Stroll
Eambiare- To Evade
Înambiare- To Invade
Perambiare- To Wander/Roam In A City
Sambiare- To Go Out/Come Out

Also noticed I accidentally made the conjugations for the future and conditional the same in their original post [xD]
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

As is the case with most of the words in the language, to be honest, I find the forms of these irregular verbs quite aesthetically pleasing! Do they mainly convey the meanings you listed with them, or can they also be used as auxiliaries of sorts, as some verbs can be in other Romance languages, if that question makes sense?
(she)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

shimobaatar wrote:As is the case with most of the words in the language, to be honest, I find the forms of these irregular verbs quite aesthetically pleasing! Do they mainly convey the meanings you listed with them, or can they also be used as auxiliaries of sorts, as some verbs can be in other Romance languages, if that question makes sense?
Thank you! [:)] Probably the biggest thing to me in any language is whether it's aesthetically pleasing or not. Avere and Esre are both used as auxiliary verbs for compound tenses in a way similar to how they are in French, which I'll get into in a later post.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Compound Tenses
There are 5 compound tenses in Islogian. They consist of a conjugated auxiliary verb followed by a past participle. The majority of verbs use Avere as their auxiliary. The modal verbs (Dôvere, Pôtere, Plâcere, Vôlere) use Dĕvĕnire as their auxiliary. Originally the modal verbs used the same auxiliary as the verb that followed and used Dĕvĕnire when not followed by another verb, but over time this was simplified to them using Dĕvĕnire in all situations. In addition to Avere and Dĕvĕnire, all reflexive verbs use Esre as their auxiliary. Verbs that use Esre agree the past participle with the subject. The following verbs also use Esre:
Spoiler:
Ambiare- To go
Ascegnere- To ascend
Cadere- To fall
Deambiare- To walk (leisurely)/stroll
Dĕvĕnire- To become
Entrare- To enter/go in
Evĕnire- To happen
Manere- To stay
Montare- To climb/go up
Morire- To die
Nascere- To be born
Partire- To leave/depart
Perambiare- To wander/roam in a city
Permanere- To remain
Pervĕnire- To arrive/reach
Provĕnire- To originate (from)
Rĕdĕvĕnire- To become again
Rĕmanere- To be left (behind)
Rĕmorire- To die again
Rĕnascere- To be born again
Rĕssobvĕnire- To reoccur
Rĕtornare- To come/return home
Revĕnire- To happen again/recur
Rĕvĕnire- To return/come back/come again
Sambiare- To go out
Scegnere- To descend/go down
Sobvĕnire- To occur
Ştare- To stand/be
Valere- To be worth
Vĕnire- To come
Volare- To fly
The 5 compound tenses are:
Present Perfect- Auxiliary in present
Pluperfect- Auxiliary in preterite
Future Perfect- Auxiliary in future
Conditional Perfect- Auxiliary in conditional
Past Subjunctive- Auxiliary in subjunctive

The compound tenses work just like one can probably expect with the possible exception of the past subjunctive. The compound past subjunctive is the only past subjunctive in Islogian and is used in all situations that both a compound past subjunctive, as well as a simple past subjunctive, would be used.

Let me know if you have questions or want to see anything [:)]
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 27 Aug 2015 01:09, edited 2 times in total.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

All4Ɇn wrote:The modal verbs (Dôvere, Pôtere, Plâcere, Vôlere) use Dĕvĕnire as their auxiliary. Originally the modal verbs used the same auxiliary as the verb that followed and used Dĕvĕnire when not followed by another verb, but over time this was simplified to them using Dĕvĕnire in all situations.
My apologies if the answer to this can be found somewhere else, but is "dĕvĕnire" a regular verb?
All4Ɇn wrote:In addition to Avere and Dĕvĕnire, all reflexive verbs use Esre as their auxiliary. Verbs that use Esre agree the past participle with the subject. The following verbs also use Esre:
If you wouldn't mind, could you perhaps further explain what you mean by the past participle agreeing with the subject?
(she)
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

shimobaatar wrote:My apologies if the answer to this can be found somewhere else, but is "dĕvĕnire" a regular verb
Dĕvĕnire is not a regular verb and conjugates like Vĕnire which I should have put with Esre, Avere and Ambiare.

Vĕnire Conjugation
Spoiler:
Present
Io vengo
Tu veni
Îl venĭ
Noi venim
Voi venit
Essi vĕngono

Preterite
Io vèni
Tu vĕnişti
Îl vène
Noi vĕnimă
Voi vĕnìşt
Essi vĕnero

Imperfect
Io vĕnivo
Tu vĕnivi
Îl vĕniva
Noi vĕnivam
Voi vĕnivat
Essi vĕnivano

Future
Io vĕrrò
Tu vĕrraȋ
Îl vĕrrà
Noi vĕrrém
Voi vĕrrét
Essi vĕrrano

Conditional
Io vèrre
Tu vĕrreşti
Îl vĕrreve
Noi vèrrem
Voi vèrreşt
Essi vĕrrebo

Imperative
*Tu vĕnǐ
Noi veniam
Voi veniat
Essi vĕngano
*Becomes venĭ when negated

Subjunctive
Io venga
Tu venga
Îl venga
Noi veniam
Voi veniat
Essi vĕngano

Past Participle: vĕnuo
Present Participle: vegno
The following verbs are conjugated like Vĕnire:
Spoiler:
Circomvĕnire- To Circumvent
Contravĕnire- To Contravene
Convĕnire- To Agree/Negotiate
Convĕnirse- To Be Unanimous
Dĕvĕnire- To Become
Disconvĕnire- To Disagree
Evĕnire- To Happen
Intervĕnire- To Intervene
Pervĕnire- To Arrive/Reach
Prevĕnire- To Warn
Provĕnire- To Originate From
Rĕdĕvĕnire- To Become Again
Revĕnire- To happen Again/Recur
Rĕvĕnire- To Return/Come Back/Come Again
Rĕssobvĕnire- To Reoccur
Sobvĕnire- To Occur
Soprâvĕnire- To Overthrow
shimobaatar wrote:If you wouldn't mind, could you perhaps further explain what you mean by the past participle agreeing with the subject?
Much like in French and Italian, verbs that use Esre essentially treat the past participle like they would an adjective and as such it has to agree with the subject in gender and number. For example: Ella è rĕvĕnua. Let me know if you have any other questions [:)]
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 27 Aug 2015 15:03, edited 3 times in total.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

All4Ɇn wrote:For example: Ella ha rĕvĕnua. Let me know if you have any other questions [:)]
Ella è rĕvĕnua, no?
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Lao Kou wrote:
All4Ɇn wrote:For example: Ella ha rĕvĕnua. Let me know if you have any other questions [:)]
Ella è rĕvĕnua, no?
Ah yes! Big mistake on my part [:$] Thanks for pointing it out