Is 340 syllables enough?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Is 340 syllables enough?

Post by Micamo »

Pe King wrote:Third it is as in weigh.
Just so you know, "long vowels" in this sense aren't actually long vowels. The confusion is common among beginners whose native language is English, as when children are taught to read they're told about "long vowels" and "short vowels." How English orthography uses the term is very different from how linguists use it. Formally it refers to vowel length, that is, the duration of time for which the vowel is pronounced. So "short a" and "long a" are the same vowel with long a just being pronounced for a greater length of time.

English "long a" is actually the diphthong [ei] in most cases. So to make this clearer you may wanna go back through your vowel system and figure out which vowels are actually diphthongs and give them accordingly.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

But do you know what I mean. also i thought that the point should be made that the language is literal in reading. What Mean is that the ow in now does not exist neither do similar sounds. also it doesn't help that I have no clue what you just said. that was a lie. I do have a clue of what you said no clue how to do it.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Pe King wrote:But do you know what I mean. also i thought that the point should be made that the language is literal in reading. What Mean is that the ow in now does not exist neither do similar sounds.
English spelling is very inconsistent, so relying on it to display accurate phonetic information is generally a bad idea. For example, the "ow" in the word "mow."

By the way, out of curiosity what's your native language?

My shitty twitter
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

English :oops:
I can't help it.
One quick question do you live in Europe? Why else would YOU be up at this hour. I know that this web site is based in Denmark that is the only clue I have.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Pe King wrote:English :oops:
I can't help it.
One quick question do you live in Europe? Why else would YOU be up at this hour. I know that this web site is based in Denmark that is the only clue I have.
American. I'm just a night owl.

My shitty twitter
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

I just realized I did not include Ch and Th in my conscript diagram. The Ch looks like a o and a - put together o-. Th is a /.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Hello everyone here is the website for my conlang https://sites.google.com/site/walon223/

Enjoy and please comment often and ask questions.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

From your site, you wrote:The language has A E I O U for vowels all say their names unless otherwise specified
What does that mean? What are their "names"?

It may behoove you to learn a bit on IPA and X-SAMPA before presenting a "phonology". Also,
Again from your site, you wrote:The Phonology of Wa lon is /p t k b d g tʃ dʒ f θ h v m n l r w j/
Where is the transliteration for this? You may want to add that.

I know it seems like a pain, but really it is a necessary evil to learn IPA and/or X-SAMPA if you are going to present your conlang to a community of people who also conlang. It shouldn't take too long to get a basic grasp on the concepts, and you can tweak and fine tune as you go until you, too, are an IPA and X-SAMPA master.

Also, once we get past the phonological issues, what can you tell us about the grammar of the language? Did you take specific inspiration from a given language? Have you looked into cases, tenses, aspects and so forth? If so, what are you planning on using?
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Now That I can get back to this post I must ask how can my phonology and in your opinion what would go with my conscipt. I know that I want it to have the same vowels and that it needs 10 new consonants(/w/ /l/ and /p/ are reserved). I know this is cheating but I need help. Also it is way to roman and make it hard by making me go trough IPA. One Last thing I don't want /s/ in there the conpeople that speak it think it is related to evil therefore forbidden.
Spoiler:
That bit is nowhere near ready to be presented so please don't ask. I thought I would get the language done before I finished the culture I Know It may be seen as backwards but oh well.
I need help with this conlang.
Last edited by Pe King on 19 Oct 2010 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

We're not asking you questions because we require answers as some sort of life-saving medication. Whereas it would be cool to know more about what you are making, we don't expect you to answer right away. Nor any time soon, if you so wish. On the contrary, you should base your conlang on the things we ask, and it should only help you.

By the way, when you said "the conpeople don't say because it's associated with evil", wouldn't that be a logical mishap? If they consider it forbidden, it shouldn't be in their language. It isn't, but if it isn't in their language, how do they know about it? If they know about it, why would they think of saying it anyway if it's not in their language?

Just a random guess, but is the abhorrence of due to the association of something slithery and hissing... maybe for a religious reason?
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

Yes the hatered of /s/ comes from snakes. The people have giant snakes around. At a young age children are shown a large snake and told that if you make that sound it will come to eat you. It also doesn't help I was almost bitten when I was 6.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

I've created a lang with only 84 syllables.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

That must have really long words
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Golahet »

Not really. Even if you have self-segregating morphology (which costs syllables) you could still have 42 monosyllables and 1764 bisyllables. If the language isn't too synthetic, and the shortest morphemes are at least somewhat mapped to the most frequent concepts, then lack of brevity wont be any problem at all.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

340 does seem a tad small, my conlang has about 300 million possible syllables in it
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

I'm was getting by with 75 80. Not a problem in the slightest.
Last edited by MrKrov on 27 Jun 2012 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

MrKrov wrote:I'm getting by with 75. Not a problem in the slightest.
Considering japanese where there are few it is known you dont need many
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Dude. It had already been established prior in the thread few will do and then you come along and you're like "340's kinda small, ooh look at me and my millions". I am reminding you.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Pe King wrote:Hey I'm new to conlanging. My language is still nameless but I have the script and phonology worked out. My sounds are (in English) consonants P/K/D/F/G/H/L/M/N/R/W/Ch/Th/ change to /p t k b d g tʃ dʒ f θ h v m n l r w j/The vowels are A/E/I/O/U/. /Ph/ makes the sound of /B/. /Dh/ makes the sound of /T/. /Fh/ makes the sound of /V/. /Gh/ makes the sound of /J/. Rarely made /Wh/ will make the sound of /Y/.
Back to my question. I did the math and found that i could make only 340 VC or CV syllables. This syllabic format is the bases for my language and each syllable is going to have its own meaning. Like the word way/el/nay (Bird) literally means Positive(way) elevation(el) small animal(nay). CVC and VCV will be far less common or used when the 340 base syllables are used. A note VCV will be used used a lot more than CVC hopefully.

For those who want to see my script it will be posted soon.

VCV is not a syllable; it's two syllables, either V.CV or VC.V.
With 340 syllables you could get
115,600 two-syllable combinations,
39,304,000 three-syllable combinations, and
13,363,360,000 four-syllable combinations.

115,600 is about twice as many words as most languages have or need; 39,304,000 is more than 39 times as many as the number of English words; and 13,363,360,000 is just ridiculously large.

I don't know how you got the number 340. You have five vowel sounds (phonemes) and 13 consonant sounds (phonemes), right?
So, if each vowel could stand by itself as a syllable,
there are five "V" syllables.
If any combination of a single-consonant onset with a single-vowel nucleus and no coda is possible, there are 65 (=13*5) "CV" syllables.
Similarly if any combination of a single-consonant coda with a single-vowel nucleus and no onset is possible, there are 65 (=5*13) "VC" syllables.
If both of those are the case, then it's likely that any combination of a single-consonant onset, a single-vowel nucleus, and a single-consonant coda are possible; so there might be 845 (=13*5*13) CVC syllables.
845+65+65+5 = 980, a lot more than 340.
If any combination of two of those syllables is possible in a two-syllable word, you could have 960,400 two-syllable combinations plus 980 one-syllable combinations, for a total of 961,380 words of one or two syllables, almost as many as English has words, and more than are words in any dictionary of English.

Additionally, maybe your language could have some CCV syllables; there might be certain two-consonant clusters that could occur as onsets. That could be a lot less than 845 CCV syllables, and yet a lot more than 65 of them.

The problem then becomes how to divide the word or phoneme-string into syllables. There's no cross-linguistic rule; each language has its own rule (or maybe no rule at all). Is /bedofug/ meant to be /be do fug/ or /bed of ug/? Odds are your language has rules allowing only one of them. That will reduce the number of different two-syllable-and-longer words.

You also need to decide what clusters of vowels and/or consonants can occur in a word even if they can't occur in a syllable, that is, even if a syllable boundary must come between them.

If the first syllable is V or CV or VC, and the second syllable is also V or CV or VC, you could have any of:
V.V
V.CV
VC.V
V.VC
CV.V
CV.CV
CV.VC
VC.CV
VC.VC
as two-syllable skeletons.
Note the confusion over whether VCV is V.CV or VC.V. You'll have to have a rule to completely disambiguate that.
Note the two-vowel clusters in V.V and CV.V and V.VC and CV.VC. Are all pairs of vowels allowed as word-internal clusters, even though a syllable boundary has to come between any two vowels? If so, how do you tell /a/ from /a.a/, /e/ from /e.e/, /i/ from /i.i/, /o/ from /o.o/, and /u/ from /u.u/?
Note the two-consonant cluster in VC.CV. Are all pairs allowed? If so, how do you tell the difference between, say, /aba/ and /abba/?
Your language is almost bound to have CV syllables. If it has VC syllables it probably has CVC syllables, too. And if it also has both CV syllables and VC syllables, it probably has V syllables too.

If you don't allow word-internal consonant clusters and also don't allow word-internal vowel clusters, and every word must contain at least one vowel, you could have:
5 V words,
65 CV words,
65 VC words,
325 VCV words,
845 CVC words,
4,225 VCVC words,
4,225 CVCV words,
and 54,925 CVCVC words.
That's 64,680 different words, just barely more than most languages have or need.
With 274,625 VCVCVC words and 274,625 CVCVCV words and 3,570,125 CVCVCVC words, you exceed requirements with allowing three-syllable words.

But maybe you do allow a word to contain a single consonant-cluster, as long as it's only two consonants.
Then the syllable templates are among these;
V
CV
VC
CCV
CVC
VCC
CCVC
CVCC
Maybe you don't allow VCC or CVCC syllables, or maybe you do. Either way, probably you don't allow every pair of consonants to be an onset of a syllable, and probably you don't allow every pair of consonants to be a coda of a syllable. If you did, you could have as many as 24,640 one-syllable words.

Anyway, your two-syllable words could follow any of the following templates:
VCV
CVCV
VCCV
VCVC
CCVCV
CVCCV
CVCVC
VCCVC
VCVCC
CCVCVC
CVCCVC
CVCVCC
which gives you somewhere south of 2,429,700 two-syllable words (if all consonant clusters and all syllable-strings are possible); and that's plenty.

If you didn't get that from other people's posts, maybe you'll get it from mine.
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 30 Nov 2010 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

I'm just going to retry. Keep the things Iike and go from there.
One just isn't enough.

-Pe King, I hope.